Alright, I have finally discovered the simplest way to transform your iPad and iPod touch into a fully functioning phone. (well, except being able to receive mms messages)
1. Use your gmail account to create a Google voice account. Select the option that allows you to have a separate Google voice number. Download the Google voice iOS app.
2. Download the Whistle app for your iOS device. Follow the in-app instructions and create an account. (You will be assigned a number.)
3. Open up Google voice in your browser and add your Whistle number as one of the linked numbers in your Google voice account. (one of the numbers the call forwards to)
4. Open the Google voice app on your device and try to call a number. When it asks you which number you would like to use for the call, make sure you select your Whistle number.
5. After you press dial, a push notification will pop up asking you whether or not you want to open Whistle to connect the call. Press answer and talk!
For texting, the Google voice app works beautifully, including push notifications for new texts.
Also, be sure to check out my company’s website, Codevs!
If you found this useful, please donate! Thanks so much! https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MMWV9BBGL7KSQ