As we all know, facebook will eventually be replaced by something new. The question is when, and what the heck will it be. Here are my ideas/predictions:
1. This future social networking site must flow better into our normal lives; it must feel like a more natural stream of information. Right now, it still feels a bit “unnatural” to take time to sign on and check our page. In the future, online social networking will be a part of our normal stream of life.
2. All mobile devices, especially phones, will sync flawlessly back with our one centralized social networking site. Right now we have to take extra time to set up such things as sms notifications and status updates. Soon, everything will work together.
3.This future site must be able to portray a better image of who one truly is. Think about it.Right now, if you have a friend who decides to hate you one day (always a good reason not to give out your password) he/she could change your internet image in about 5 min; all they would have to do is change your info, pic, and write on a few people’s walls under your name. Then, to further anger you, they could post negative blog comments via blogger or wordpress and reference your facebook account. This would completely tain your name. Anytime somebody decided to look you up on google, all of this incorrect, harmful information would be displayed thus ruining real life job opportunities, relationships, and friendships. The “next facebook” will have something I like to call verified account; an unhackable, true online identity that is uniquely yours.
4. Different people will be able to view your profile differently. For example, you would be able to tell this futuristic site that you want your boss to see a different profile pic, set of wallposts, and other info. This would preserve the personal privacy and freedoms we enjoy in real life.
5. New methods of online communication will be implemented. Whether you recognize it or not, technology is becoming “smarter” and more “multi-touch.” This social networking site of the future will be able to express our day to day moods and expressions. This maybe a hard concept to comprehend but, it actually makes a ton of sense if you think about it. If we continually change day to day, why shouldn’t we do the same online? Also, multi-touch environments will allow for us to imput and sent out more information and data to the web. This futuristic social networking site will reflect that.
6. This idea struck me the other day. Human relationships will be reflected in the way that friend’s profiles work together. For example, each of my parents have a facebook page. They are linked via the little relationship status, and it says they are married. However, two of my friends could link their profiles in the same way. This is not right. Human relationships must be replicated online. For truly married couples, they should have separate profiles that somehow work together. This would reflect the true human relationship they have. Similarly, brothers, sisters, or other sibilings’ profiles would work together in ways different than just two friends’ profiles would.
7. These future sites will be recognized as much, much more than just a fun way to connect with friends. Rather the same site will interact with school, work, and for friends, just as you as person would. Imagine combining the power of google docs, facebook, twitter, your cell phone, wordpress, flickr, and every other social web 2.0 site together. Now take that image and introduce the few ideas i have just presented. This is the future of the Web and of our society.